by Valentina "Aling" Jakosalem/CIT-U Intern
What does being concise mean? Does it mean cutting your long sentences short? Well, if that is what you’re thinking, then you are in the right track.
Oftentimes, most of us thought that being concise only means writing short sentences. The objective of being concise in writing is to use the most effective word to directly tell a story. It is using few but operative words.
But don’t get too overwhelmed easily, asking yourselves first because knowing how to write concisely is essential for you to have quality content. You have to read and check your content more than once.
|This is how you put your words on a diet.|
Here are some questions you need to raise when checking your content:
- Are your sentences too dragging?
Sentences that are dragging make your readers leave your site. Your audiences value time as much as you value your business. They need strong and direct information. So, instead of writing ambiguous words, use specific words. You can ask a help from thesaurus to find the best word.
1. Wrong: Lenie thinks that burgers are healthy but she is also doubtful if it is unhealthy.
Correct: Lenie is unsure if burgers are healthy or not.
2. Wrong: The Memoriter Writing Service can give you an offer of services like press releases, writing quality content, social media management and many more services that links to information education communication.
Correct: The Memoriter Writing Service offers press releases, quality content writing, social media management and other information education communication services.
- Are you using too many adjectives?
Adjectives are good words especially if you want to add up spice to your sentences. However, using too much adjectives can ruin your sentences. They confuse your readers and get them fed up. You definitely need to avoid using excessive adjectives. When you use too many adjectives, you might not notice that the words have the same meaning.
1. Wrong: Quality content is understandable, clear and comprehensible.
Correct: Quality content is coherent.
2. Wrong: Many children thought that eating cookies once a week is totally and completely fine and okay.
Correct: Children thought that eating cookies once a week is completely fine.
- Are you using clause very often?
Sometimes, clauses are unnecessary. They only add up to the wordiness of your sentences. There are clauses that can be presented in a phrase or even a word. And it is way better in converting modifying words into phrases or words.
1. Wrong: The newspaper, which was recently released, received many complains from the people who read the news.
Correct: The recently released newspaper received many complains from the readers.
2. Wrong: The site that is consistent is appreciated by the customers of the site.
Correct: A consistent site is appreciated by the customers.
- Are there redundant words?
Redundancy is the repetition of words. There are words that sound good together but are not supposed to be in one sentence. Redundant words are excessive words you need to omit.
1. Wrong: Lenny paid her tuition fee yesterday.
Correct: Lenny paid her tuition yesterday.
2. Wrong: You need to repeat your advertisement again on noon time.
Correct: Repeat your advertisement on noon time.
Concise is more than a seven-letter word. This can change the quality of your content.